Chief Purpose of the Position
The Surgical Coordinator serves to facilitate the process of treating patients of the VCU Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery practice within an operating room environment. Specifically, the Coordinator works with a small team to manage the following processes:
- Accept Recommendations for Admission from providers and initiate the scheduling of surgeries
- Reserve operating room space at a third-party hospital
- Coordinate insurance processes for surgical patients. This includes obtaining insurance information from patients, submitting pre-authorizations for surgical services, managing denials and appeals, and assisting patients in obtaining coverage when necessary
- Maintain multiple versions of the surgical calendar for all providers (including Residents and Faculty members), and proactively make changes when necessary
- Enter professional charges into practice management system and initiate claim filing process.
- Serve as the liaison between providers, patients and the hospital
- Serve as a mentor to Surgical Residents regarding coding and clerical processes related to Oral Surgery
Knowledge, skills and abilities required:
- Superior organizational skills required as this position requires managing the schedule of twelve providers
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills required along with the willingness to speak publicly to 10-20 individuals in training or meeting sessions
- Willingness to work in a diverse and dynamic work environment
- Working knowledge of Office-based computer software. This position requires successfully completing a software training program within a hospital environment.\
- Proficiency using Google Apps preferred
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) skills preferred
Education level and experience required:
- High School diploma or equivalent
- Associate of Bachelor’s Degree in healthcare, business or a related filed preferred
- 3-5 years of working experience in a medical or dental office
- Working experience in an Oral Surgery office strongly preferred
- CPC coding certification strongly preferred
Hiring Range: $16 - $19 per hour, based on relevant work experience
Brief Summary of Benefits: Benefits for this position include, but are not limited to Health and Group Life Insurance, Vision, Dental Care Discounts (not insurance), 401k Profit Sharing Plan, and Paid Holidays. After a completion of 90 days you are eligible for Paid Time Off (PTO) Leave, a Uniform Allowance or Uniform, and Professional Development/Tuition Assistance. After a completion of 6 months you are eligible for Short Term Disability, Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, and Flexible Spending Accounts.
EEO Statement: VCU Dental Care is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally-recognized basis including, but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability and/or age
Please submit a completed VCU Dental Care Employment Application Form for immediate consideration. Due to the volume of applications, no phone calls please.
Updated on Wed, 31 Jul 2019 15:41:22 EDT
VCU Dental Care is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer. We do not discriminate against employees or applicants for employment on any legally-recognized basis including, but not limited to: veteran status, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, physical or mental disability and/or age.